Thursday, September 20, 2018

Saudade in Autumn/imaginary gardens with real toads

Saudade in Autumn

The morning brought rain
Rain running down 
The window panes in rivulets
Like tears down your cheeks
Water, water everywhere…

Immediately I step in Saudade
All over my wellies
My coat
Saudade everywhere

It is autumn
Usually my favorite season
Time passes so quickly now
I look ahead

Make plans
It seems there is plenty of time
And suddenly the “now,” is behind me
I am filled with Saudade

The chasm between us widens
The day of your leaving
Seems like yesterday
Slowly, without my knowing
It has become light years ago

Careening through space
Stars up close
The clothes line hung
With memories of days past

It is a “cold case”
Little evidence to go on 
Though blurred the details remain
I find you in the deepest parts of my being


September 20, 2018

Fireblossom Friday : Say The Word

English is a funny language. A lot of it came from other languages, and some of those words retain their foreign sound. Some remain foreign and not strictly English at all, but are used much in the manner of "Voila!" Moreover, some of them roll off the tongue very poetically, it seems to me. Even without knowing what they mean, they just sound cool. Add the meaning, and it's pretty much nerd heaven. 

What I want you to do is to take one of the following words and build a poem around it. Don't just jam it in some place where it sticks out like a sore thumb. Make the word you choose central to your poem. I think we may get some interesting results. Write, link, enjoy!

I have selected to write to the word, Saudade. (Portuguese) A deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves.


14 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh how we long for love ones and the seasons we shared with them. Loved your poem!

annell4 said...

Thank you so much Vicki.

Fireblossom said...

Those feelings come within, but can be intensified by the season without, as well. Thanks for being part of my prompt.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

A beautiful write Annell, tinged as it is with sadness.
How time runs away with itself, but the memories remain, brought to the fore by the tears of autumn, welling deep within us. But that said, memories are connections with our past...
Hugs.
Anna :o]

Teresa said...

Beautiful poem. Love the images you create.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is so beautifully filled with saudade, my friend. This is the word that spoke to me too. I especially like the saudade all over your wellies, saudade everywhere for, yes, that it is. I love this poem!

Old Egg said...

I didn't read anyone elses work until I had written mine and I thought I'd be the exception writing about saudade. Wrong again! How well you described the completeness of saudade affecting ones mind when death cheats you of your loving relationship.

Vivian Zems said...

Saudade indeed on this 'cold case'. Very well said!

Priscilla King said...

I like "the clothesline hung / With memories."

tonispencer said...

I do like the alliteration in the first bit of the poem - all the rrrr sounds. This is so sad. Death stealing your loved one.

Susan said...

Beautifully written. Heartbreaking, but lovely.

brudberg said...

The melancholy of autumn can indeed harmonize with what we feel within.

Anonymous said...

As already noted, I like the alliteration in the beginning, it sets the pace and feeling for what's to come - and I was particularly struck, or pegged, by the image of the clothes line ... and for what it could or might mean ... it conjures up all kinds of wonderful images in my mind (even for a rain soaked sheeted ruined(?) hanging out) ... so this poem has a sad longing ... for the lost ... and yet the found, which remains, in heart.

Jim said...

Saudade lasts, to those infected seemingly forever. But like you said to me, it leads to the "path to find 'the right one.' Did for me" also, lasting now 45 years. Thank you for reminding me of that.
..

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...