Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Morning Appears Out of Darkness/dVerse

Note:  Since I did not read the prompt carefully, I made a mistake, which I will try to remedy.  I wrote the poem that was waiting to be written...then as I read a few poems by others, I began to realize, I didn't really understand what was being asked.  Back to the drawing board or to the computer to make it right.



It is autumn, my favorite time of year.  I have been sleeping a little later, the sun rises before
I do.  Coffee and flour tortilla, then take the cat for a walk.  So like a dog, he strains at the leash, wants to run ahead, everything fresh...and new.  

Memories of the night before, gathering with friends, celebrating the holiday of labor, and now it all begins...again.  I awoke, someone saying, just a short time until the mid-term elections, and the hearings begin today, that will take the courts back to the 1950's.  I don't know about you, but this is not what I expected in my old age.  On this brilliant morning, everything seems bleak.


Walk the cat in the morning 
Inspite of the brilliance
Everything seems bleak
    







The Morning Appears Out of Darkness

The morning is a new beginning
A “do over”
Another chance to get it “right”
The morning appears out of darkness

The sun rises over Taos Mountain
Lights the world
Everything fresh and new
And yet… a box of memories

So much we think
We have lived through
Dealt with
Put away

Stored in the attic
And quiet unexpected
The memories
March forward in formation

Dressed in their little uniforms
They present themselves
As if for the first time
Demand our attention

They do not want to be left behind
They want to be a part of this new day
Unlike statues of stone
They do not crumble

They will remain as long as we do
They are past, present and future
Old stories that go back to our beginning

September 4, 2018





6 comments:

Frank Hubeny said...

I like the association of brilliance and bleakness in the haiku.

annell4 said...

Thank you Frank.

Mish said...

I like the walk through your morning and the repetition of "everything seems bleak", emphasizing the mood. I notice you are in New Mexico. We are going to Las Cruces in November to see my husband's family. It's like my second home. :)

annell4 said...

Thank you for your comment, Mish. That is in the bottom of the state near the border, and I am in the north near the border. I know you will have fun!!

purplepeninportland.com said...

Love the haiku, Annell. Also, that cool drawing!

annell4 said...

Thank you Sara, for your comment. This is an IPad drawing. I have been doing them and have fallen in love.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...