Thursday, March 15, 2018

Ask Not Who is in Charge/dVerse

Ask Not Who is in Charge
Who’s in charge?
You ask with straight-face
Ideas have words
You name them
They appear at your own will
I trust your discretion

March 15, 2018

Grace has asked us to write a Shadorma.  
So here's the thing with the Shadorma: it is a phantom form enshrouded in shadows and mystery. Poetry bloggers who introduce the form seem to copy/paste the definition from Wikipedia's own vague entry, but fail to back up what the Shadorma says it is. Word on the online street says that it is a Spanish form, though the name doesn't sound Spanish (like other "true" forms, such as the letrilla or the pareado) and I have yet to find one example written by a Spanish poet. I'm inclined to believe that it is a recent invention that, due to its enigmatic and alluring nature, has drawn in a cult following.


(Source: poetry-in-form.com)
Let us dVerse poets be allured! Shadorma is a syllabic poem consisting of six-line stanzas. The pattern is 3-5-3-3-7-5, and you may write one stanza, twenty, or anywhere in between. In honor of its nebulous origins, I suggest the content explore the fog, the paranormal, the unexplained phenomena of life and death. Ultimately though, let the Shadorma lead you in what you shall write...and reveal.

10 comments:

brudberg said...

If you have to ask... something is probably not right to start with...

Jane Dougherty said...

I tend to assume no one is in charge :)

Bekkie Sanchez said...

I find no one ever wants to say (or be) the one in charge.

Amaya said...

This is a strange poem (perfect!) that makes me think of the relationship between words and will, and the responsibility of each. I am intrigued by your characters in your dialogue and want to know more, but I guess I did ask for mystery...

Alison H said...

I think this could be read in so many ways at the moment....very dark and spooky...

Frank Hubeny said...

One needs discretion with ideas and words.

Vivian Zems said...

I like this... it's kept me guessing. I read it in so many ways. Well, no-one's in charge at my end...my muse is resting.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ha, a fun and thought-provoking read, which felt as if it was written with verve.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

An intriguing poem, which makes one think.......

Margaret said...

This could be personal or speak of political times...

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...