Monday, March 19, 2018

Filling a Hole that Cannot be Filled/ dVerse -- Haibun Monday: Who? What? Why? --comment-reply@wordpress.com

After 36 years of marriage, my husband, an avid fisherman, who had lived on the water all of his life, drowned.   When he died, I was in such shock, I was afraid to go out, afraid I would get lost,  afraid I wouldn’t know how to return home.  It was then, my Sister told me, not to worry.  She said, “Write it down, make a list.”  She was right.  I began to write, and I haven’t stopped.  I found I could write all kinds of things down, not just where I was going and how I could return.  But when I became overwhelmed with grief, I could write it down, think about it later. 

I had always known myself to be a visual artist, and the concept of me as a poet, always seems a little strange, but after about 20 years of “writing it down.”  I decided I would have to embrace that part of me, too.  I don’t think I wrote as a child, but I was always drawing and coloring.  Just as I could not be happy, nor could I live, if I could not paint.   I would not be happy if I couldn’t write. 

I think I write to find out what I think, and I am almost always amazed.  I write about everything that touches me, usually something of the moment, something small in everyday language.  I like to paint with words.

For a while, I felt I needed to fill the page visually with my poetry, and did so.  Lately, I think I am writing more traditionally, down the left hand side of the page, short phrases.

My bookshelves are full of poetry.  So many poets to love.  I definitely have found women tell a different story than men.  And I am probably partial to the poetry written by women.   Something inside me, told me, all the years in school, it was,  “he said it, he did it, and nothing about her.”  I think I have so much to catch up on, when it comes to women's poetry.  

I am really fond of Kathleen Fraser and Gertrude Stein.  I find a poet, I love and I lose them, others take their place and then I find them again…different works touch me at different times.



Filling a Hole That Cannot be Filled

You told me I could write
It was the autumn of the year
I am writing still

March 19, 2018



10 comments:

brudberg said...

Though the start and the trigger is a sad one, I love how you have used your writing to overcome grief... poetry can be balm, or you can rage against the night... to me the most important is to keep writing (and reading)

Kim M. Russell said...

Oh my goodness, Annell, I am so sorry to read about your husband's tragic death. I can't imagine how you must have felt but can understand that you were afraid to go out. Writing is such a good way of getting the grief out. I can also understand writing to find out what you think and painting with words.

Margaret said...

Life and death... are so closely entwined with our emotions - The older I get the more I realize how each day is a gift - tried to tell my children this morning something of the sort - not to worry about college applications, tests, to the point it makes the day horrible - to live now and appreciate the warm breeze, the fact we are all here together. I think they thought I'd lost my mind. ;) Poets are artists - artists are often poets and they just don't know it :)

Frank Hubeny said...

That's what I do as well: "I think I write to find out what I think". And I am amazed, surprised even.

Michael said...

I enjoyed your story Annell, it amazes me to think of the variety of reasons people find to write. I'm glad it has been so beneficial to you, I hope you are able to continue on as its such good fun, well most of the time.

Susie Clevenger said...

We don't always know what will bring us to write poetry. Mine was a car accident. Keep filling your days with poetry. We are blessed to read your art.

rudraprayaga said...

Interesting to read how you became a writer.Nice.

Jane Dougherty said...

I'm sure that finding a creative outlet for your grief helped. Not only gave you something to hang onto, but something worthwhile. Thank you for hanging on.

Jo said...

My condolences on the loss of your husband. I enjoyed reading how writing helped you heal from such a huge loss. It was lovely to read about your process of finding the poet within you.

J C said...

This is an awesome write. And, thanks for visiting my blog.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...