Thursday, December 6, 2018

Merry Christmas to All/imaginary gardens with real toads

Merry Christmas to All

There is a sound of tearing
As the band-aid is ripped 
From the wound
Long ago bound

He stays in his room
Shuns people
The shades drawn
He is Christmas past

Perhaps it is best not to bother him
Allow him to sulk
Feel sorry for himself
He has plenty of reasons

Tick them off like a grocery list
Each year we decorated the tree
Attended church
Santa would arrive

Put stockings on the foot of the bed
Mom and Dad
The whole family around
Christmas is different now

Just you and me
And yet we blow smoke
Keep the fire going
Hold hands in the dark

No, it is not the same
Nothing is
You hold me warm
We kiss good night

Me in my kerchief 
You in your cap
Our hopes are for the new year
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

December 5, 2018

12 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Your present Christmas sounds wonderful indeed - cozy and warm with the one you love, who loves you. It doesnt get much better. I loved this poem, my friend.

annell4 said...

It is hard not to remember what was, but I am grateful for what is. And it is all we should need. Thanks for your comments Sherry.

Kim M. Russell said...

An interesting personification of Christmas past, Annell. I’m happy that your Christmas present is cosy and warm – I love the thought of you keeping the fire going and holding hands in the dark.

rob kistner said...

This was an interesting piece, warm, just a slight hint of melacholy - but it was a tender write... I enjoyed it Annell!

Anmol (HA) said...

The Christmas past hints at a certain sadness, a remnant of which still stays in the heart. But the present is so beautiful in its coziness and warmth. The intimacy is lovely in this poem. Very well penned! :-)

said...

Boy do I know that guy very well --- the one hiding in his room. I think you have to keep trying, just a touch at least. The ones who shun are the ones who need love and invitation the most. They feel worthless, useless, like all they do is let people down. We always regret not trying if we give up on getting people to come out and join the party. Even if they never do, they will at least know they are loved and valued. Sometimes this can make the difference between having him be a recluse and having him be another suicide.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comments, Girl.

Susie Clevenger said...

My heart holds pieces of broken Christmas's. I think thee is so much wonder in someone holding your hand. It is beautiful to sit peacefully where love lives.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like your personification of Christmas past.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

What a lovely write!

annell4 said...

Thanks Kerry.

annell4 said...

Thanks Linda.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...