Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Last Poem/imaginary gardens with real toads

The Last Poem

Words cobbled together
Lose old meanings
Take on new meanings
It is a birth of sorts

We change the numbers
We write on our checks
Look for the meanings
In a barren land

We agree, things are not 
What we would want them to be
But still, you are here
And I am, as well

We look together to the new year
With hope and expectations
It will not be from black to white
Rather a slow change

Like a snail in the garden 
Leaving a trail behind
Keeping track of where we are going
And where we have been

December 26, 2018







6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ushering in of the new for old, old for new - in reflections, as the calendar year changes. A lovely poem with such intimate details, such as cheque writing etc. that bring this to its fullness. I particularly loved the ending, the reference to the snail in the garden, - for change is often slow indeed, and by most of our natures, we are too impatient and wish for the black/white effect.

Happy holidays Annell. :)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love this. Yes, here we are, inching along our prescribed paths. A wonderful new years poem!

Jim said...

This is nice, Annell. I like the progression with the last verse being my favorite, "Like a snail in the garden Leaving a trail behind." It just seems so natural, one of Mother Nature's smaller creations yet so important.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (BTW, that's what I liked about teaching, if I didn't meet my standards the new year's new semester would be a second chance to do better.)
..

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Beautifully reflective.

rallentanda said...

Anything meaningful is a slow process...Happy New Year !

Magaly Guerrero said...

Change that sticks tends to take a while, indeed...

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...