Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Christmas List/poets united poets pantry -- the sunday whirl


The Christmas List

The North wind howled
At my door
Dropping the lock
I invited him in

He had come to play
He whirled around the
Sparkling tree
He played with the train

Touched each gaily wrapped gift
Examined the tags
There was no gift for him
The smile dropped from his face

He spun around to leave
Then he took a folded piece of paper
From his pocket
It was a list

A list of things that could be done
To make the world a better place
It was his Christmas list
With downcast eyes…he said, “Maybe next year?”

December 16, 2018




Wordle 382:  wind, howled, neck, hundred, play, touch, shop, train, drop, spin, plan, lucky

7 comments:

Vicki said...

I love this, I found my bottom lip protrude just a bit in sadness at the end. The world being a better place is what we all should want for Christmas! Wishing you a joyous season, Anne.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I LOVE this! The wind howled here yesterday so fiercely the power was out from six till midnight. But it didnt stop the villagers from packing the community hall (which has a generator) for a rousing concert. We rocked the place. Smiles. Aretha Franklin, John Lennon, Neil Youbng - like nop Christmas concert I have ever seen - 100 people in the joint Tofino Ucluelet choir, plus some kids from the high school. Wow. I grinned all through it like the Cheshire Cat! The audience got pretty lively, too. We are an appreciative bunch!

Mary said...

Oh, I hope it WILL be next year that the world will be a better place.

Brendan said...

Fun little Christmas tall, full of moondazzle and wonder. Let's try to give him something to smile about next year.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Ah, starts so playful and then becomes sadly serious. I respond to both. Beautifully done.

rob kistner said...

I liked the whimsical nature, and the final impact. Well Annell, it better be soon, or we may run out of "next years".

purplepeninportland.com said...

Love the way the whimsey so turns to the best, most serious Christmas gift list of all.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...