Saturday, January 19, 2019

A Smile on Our Face/imaginary gardens with real toads


A Smile on Our Face

The destination is the same
For each of us
Bound for the “Promised Land”
So many questions unanswered

Not this one
We know where we are going
Moving forward
Until the day we die

So, it is up to us
To live the unforgettable life
Begin each morning
At dawn when the sun rises

Take a deep breath
Fill ourselves 
With the happiness 
Of the day

Until the last day
The day we die
Tied to the stake
A smile on our face

January 19, 2019


This weekend, Magaly uses a quote from Mary Oliver, who sadly died this week, to inspire us to write a new poem that “mustn’t be fancy”. We are encouraged to craft poetry that wastes no words.

I chose Mary Oliver's poem Sunrise.  The words are; die, bound, stake, unforgetable, dawn, breath and happiness.



















10 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the idea of filling ourselves with happiness in the morning - a great start to the day. At our age we know, each day is a gift to be appreciated. I love this, Annell.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Your last stanza has me grinning from ear to ear. I believe in those words, and practice it with all I am. We have only one life, might as well use it deliciously as we can to be (and to spread) as much yumminess as we can.

Helen said...

I will never forget the smile on my Mother’s face as her days dwindled to a precious few ...

robtkistner said...

Wonderfully positive and inspiring piece Annell, really resonated with me!

tonispencer said...

Yes. We must let the day full us with joy. Wonderful message.

brudberg said...

That smile is the one making all the difference.

Other Mary said...

Odd to think we are all dying. Every day. The best advice from Mary and you to appreciate each day as it comes.

Kerry O'Connor said...

I like to think that Mary passed as she intended, with a grateful letting go, a flight of wild geese.

Susie Clevenger said...

Yes, welcome morning with joy. Thanks for guiding me toward light.

Carmineink said...

Great poost

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...