Wednesday, January 23, 2019

The Shed is Where I Keep Old Memories/dVerse

A Shed is Where I Keep Old Memories

I remember a shed
In my across -the-street-neighbor’s backyard
The little girls in the neighborhood
Would gather there and play cooking

There were old spices there
I wonder now, where they came from
Rosemary and thyme
And in our yard

Was an old chicken house
Where the woman next door
Used to keep her chickens
The old sheds

Were memories themselves
Still standing
Past their use…
Another neighbor

Had a old shed in his back yard
Kept garden tools there
And I remember a boy I dated…
And we kissed in the shed

In the family’s backyard
A shed where animals once lived
I have a small shed in my yard
All kinds of things stored there

Perhaps sheds are where we keep old memories
Past their usefulness
Folded neatly 
Stacked and forgotten

January 23, 2019






5 comments:

Frank Hubeny said...

I like the memories in those sheds all neatly folded.

Dwight L. Roth said...

Yes, you are right we store the great memories in the sheds of our mind! A wonderful story of childhood. Well done!

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Remembering old sheds in your past...even as a little girl. I’m thinking about that idea of old memories that have outlived their usefulness. It reminds me of the photo albums you sometimes find in antique stores....and I always wonder how they ended up there? Relatives people no longer remember from way back when and so their photos are tossed? Memories no longer useful, no longer capable of naming.
You did make me smile at that kiss in the shed😊

robtkistner said...

Annell, this was great reading! Brought back so many memories of the sheds around my neighborhood growing up. There was big shed on the corner of two alleys behind my house. It belonged to our neighbor and was originally a feed store where farmers would come to buy supplies. In my youth in the 40's and 50's it was rented out by the guy who delivered the city newspaper to our neighbor. The newspaper office would drop stacks of newspapers and this man and his helpers would fold them up in the dark hours before dawn and then deliver them. My friends and I took it over in the afternoon as our secret clubhouse. We knew how to sneak in and nobody would chase us. Had some great memories built their. Kissed several girls. Learned about sex after we found a girlie mag, and ecperimented with Donna from on the corner... Cried with my best friend when his dad died. Thanks for sharing your poem Annell, you stirred up some memories! :-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This took me back to when I had a little house - and a shed.......and a big old garden.......sigh...........now I have a storage room in the basement, equally full of Stuff I should reduce.Love the idea that old memories are stored there.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...