Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Harbinger/dVerse - Harbinger

Harbinger

As I approached the waiting van
I saw you out of the corner of my eye
Then you swooped close to me
Didn’t want me to miss your presence

A red flash
Followed by your life long mate
I knew the message you brought
A messenger from sprit

The time was now
The night before
It was so hard to leave you
I returned to your side three times

Already lonely by your departure
Yes, I knew you were leaving
And it would be the last time
Yet, because you were ill

And could not heal
I prayed the time would come soon
You would not suffer long
So hard to let go the rope

That bound us together
I took a deep breath
Stepped into the van
The river washed over us

January 30, 2019




10 comments:

sarah said...

For me, this captures the ambivalence of waiting for the death of a suffering loved one. We want them to stay, but we don't want them to suffer any more. Death as release. The slightly fractured storyline made me think of grieving, too.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

The river of loss washes over us and we emerge transformed.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the visit from the red messenger.

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice last stanza about the river washing over us.

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Beautifully writ. Sometimes the most love we can give is to let go. Never easy. The grief and sometimes relief, like the river, wash over us.

brudberg said...

Oh that waiting... sometimes I would wish it to go quickly too... this is more than harbinger it's destiny of doom

purplepeninportland.com said...

The red messenger was a lovely touch, as was the ending. Beautiful!

rallentanda said...

Sad poem of grieving and loss. Going back three times...not wanting to let go is heart wrenching.

robtkistner said...

Very engaging write Annell, and sad...

Gina said...

oh the waiting overwhelms me here

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...