Thursday, November 22, 2018

A Love Poem For Thanksgiving/imaginary gardens with real toads

A Love Poem For Thanksgiving

So many Thanksgivings
I have experienced
As a child
At home with my family

The turkey roasting 
The kitchen filled 
With holiday smells
We knit a life together

You often cooked the turkey
A perfect meal
Welcomed the early morning
With eggnog

The family around the table
And after dinner a nap
Today, I am with my family of choice
Many empty chairs at the table

Remembered faces
Contribute to the emptiness I feel
I am aware life is but a revolving door
Some coming and some going

Still the celebration goes on
We knit a life together
The play continues
The actors different

Give thanks that we are still here
The kitchen is filled with holiday smells
We knit a life together
Mend and patch

November 22, 2018

My Mom, My Dad, My Grandfather, My Grandmothers, My Sisters and their children, My Husband, Jack, and his Mom and Dad, and my child, Jim.  My Aunts and Uncles, and cousins.    Annie and Theodore, Jr and Jeanette, George, Tom, Johnny, John… so many it could fill a page.



7 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So many beloved faces missing around the table. But there is still the joy in gathering, whether it is with a few, one other, or peacefully alone........it is so good to still be here. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

Outlawyer said...

Ah. A very realistic and real life poem, and yet with real sweetness too. Thanks much. K.

Old Egg said...

Having these family gatherings is so important. We have had them for sixty years or more. They continue as the family is always there for each other and are happy to include fresh faces that may one day be part of it too.

Jim said...

Liking this, Annell. One of the places that begged my attention was your thoughts if the empty chairs. Mrs. Jim and I were just reminiscing about her mother's wishes of making it to ninety. She missed by one month. Then we discussed our advancement of years. We are old but both if us have pland to make it to ninety.
..

Helen said...

The play continues .... love that!!! Indeed it does and we are thankful.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comment, Outlawyer. I could not find your poem?

Marian said...

Wonderful :) So much, so many to be thankful for.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...