Sunday, November 11, 2018

I Remember You/the sunday whirl world 376 -- poets united

I Remember You 

It was my birthday
In the year of our lord 1991
We made the journey
You fly-fished in the San Juan

The light sparkled off the water
Without knowing
We were exploring a place
That would soon be my home

Land of Enchantment
With our walking sticks
We hiked and sang songs
Just a little off pitch

One never knows what is ahead
Still we continue
Even what we think of 
As the impossible

You said, you could not be happy
Without the coast
We are never really stranded
The road ahead always looks promising

There is no machine
That can tell you what tomorrow will bring
After you left
The years passed

I yearned to talk with you
Ask what you think
After all these years
I miss you still

November 11, 2018


16 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Such beautiful and poignant memories. A wonderful poem, Annell. I can see the sparkle on the water, and the arc of the fishing rod.

brudberg said...

I wonder sometimes if we separate for the wrong reasons... after all we should be able to feel happy wherever we are (even away from the waves)

annell4 said...

Thanks Sherry.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comment Brudberg. Probably, we do....even away from the waves. No, I don't think we can feel happy anywhere....it is said of Taos, NM, you have to be excepted by Taos Mountain, or else you will leave here screaming!!! There are some mysteries we have no answers for.

Susan said...

To have had the Land of Enchantment is wonderful, and to keep going is possible because it dwells in memory. And then the unknown of the destination, helps me onward. Anything could happen.

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

I felt your words resonate with me.....such lovely memories!

Wendy Bourke said...

This is beautifully drawn. I was - am - really affected by the close. This piece resonates with such lovely truth.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is so beautiful, raw and eloquent. I could feel every word. 💞

Mary said...

Nostalgic, filled with love for what once was and the missing!

Thotpurge said...

So much nostalgia for what was and could have been.

dsnake1 said...

such a lovely, poignant poem!

longing! longing makes us live better. because the one not around would have wanted us to.

annell4 said...

Thank you for the comment, Susan.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comment, Wendy.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comment, Mary.

annell4 said...

Thank you Thotpurge.

Colleen Looseleaf said...

Sweet nostalgia. I like "we're never really stranded" and the internal rhyme that I hear.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...