Saturday, November 17, 2018

I Am in a Foreign Land/dVerse

I Am in a Foreign Land

Here we stand
The two of us
Two tribes come together
I am the last of my kind

Older
Wiser
Kneaded like fresh dough
For biscuits in the morning

Each day a good beginning
The sun slowly rises
A beautiful pink to orange glow
Great expectations

Life has humbled me
Taken me to task
Spit me out
To try again

What a bitter pill I must be
An old woman
I croon to myself
A song I used to sing to my son

Years have passed
I solid as a stone
And yet life
Has marked me

Left its hand print on my shoulder
The same as in the cave
Red the color of life
Each new day I am amazed

I walk the labyrinth of life
Go within 
Weigh and measure
Often it is as if, I am in a foreign land

November 15, 2018

5 comments:

Therisa's World said...

It's beautiful, Annell, writing about your journey through life. Too often, we view this journey, as negative, to be reviled and not talked/written about. Many time, I find myself, dreading to get out of bed and face the world. Just one day, I would like to face it with a smile, knowing nothing can stop me.

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice line: "I am the last of my kind" especially with reference to being a tribe and being lost in a foreign land in the last stanza.

robkistner said...

This is a wonderful write Annell, much depth. There is a bittersweetness, but also a quiet strength... :-)
I just discovered that you used to post your work on a poetry prompt site I published for a number of years entitled "Writer's Island", so nice to see your work agsin... :-)

D Avery said...

This resonates.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, I feel this poem! The memories....how life has marked us.......forced us to become ever more of ourselves. A write that truly resonates for me right now. I do feel sometimes I am in a foreign land, so far have we come from the simpler times of our youth, when decency and doing the right thing was the norm. Sigh.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...