Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Poets United Midweek Motif ~ Light

Happy Birthday Light the Candles

Can we speak of light
In only a whisper?
Is it best to keep voices low?
Honor the sacred

Can we hear light approaching on tip toe?
Or does light come in thundering herds?
Singing all the way
Waking us from sleep

Announcing a new day
A beginning
So small 
It is hard to see

And yet without light
We do not see at all
Shall we stand guard
For its coming

And upon seeing the whites of its eyes
Shall we sound the alarm?
Or do we let it sneak into town
Like an outlaw

Light is so much a part of us
We often don’t see it depart
In the darkness that follows
We strain to see

It remains the other side of the coin
Light reveals the mystery
We need light in order to see
But never see the light itself

May 22, 2019

13 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love these reflections on light, and how it arrives and, sometimes, departs. Thinking of you on Jim's birthday, my friend. Such a golden part of your life. Forever loved and missed.

annell4 said...

I am touched by your words Sherry.

Still having trouble posting...is there anything you might do to correct my mess at Poets United?

Lori said...

This is really beautiful. Those last two stanzas in particular made me draw breath. Very touching.

Elizabeth said...

I wonder too, many of the same questions. Do we really see the light, or simply a reflection of the way we think things ought to be? I really like this meditation on light and whatever it might be.

Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/05/22/butterfly-light/

signed...bkm said...

i like that...we never see light itself...nor can we hold it...very nice...bkm

Susan said...

Those last two lines will now trouble me forever. This works on every level. I will work on seeing the Light.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Annell,
A magnificent coverage of light in all its aaspects...without it, we'd be left in limbo..

Old Egg said...

How precious our eyes are to give us the gift of sight, mind you all our senses are precious and it would be a disaster to lose even one.

Sumana Roy said...

"Can we hear light approaching on tip toe?" So beautifully said. I am thinking of one or two bird voice at the approach of dawn.

Kim M. Russell said...

I like the questions in this poem, Annell, especially:
‘Can we hear light approaching on tip toe?
Or does light come in thundering herds?’
and the final lines ring true.

purplepeninportland.com said...

This is unique in its questions and ponderings. Love this poem, Annell!

robkistner said...

Light and dark are opposite sides of the coin, both beautiful in their own way. I prefer the night the newsmen have mostly all gone to bed, and their is asafety in the darkness. I like this Annell, and happy birthday to your son!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love all these questions ... and the conclusion.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...