Thursday, May 2, 2019

The Small Treasures, Pleasures and Comforts

The Small Treasures, Pleasures and Comforts

Oh, my, the world is so full of these treasures
My cat, Issa, loves to go for a walk
And when the sun comes up
He is ready to go

He wears a little red harness 
His leash is black
The air is cold
As it slides down from the mountains

From here on the mesa 
I can see the snow covered 
Tops of the mountains
I pick up a piece of pottery shard

Nestled in the sandy dirt
At the base of a sage brush
The ancient ones were here
Long before the white man came

The shard is a reminder
This land belonged to them
I run my fingers over the shard
Knowing long ago

A potter created a pot
With his hands he rubbed it smooth
Shaped it for his needs
Now only a shard

Most of the shards are not decorated
But some are
With stripes of black paint
Only once I found a piece with red decorations

The Tewa people who lived in Taos Valley
Were very traditional
There were never many here
This area would not support too many people

We are high mountain desert
What we have in abundance are mountain views
Sage brush
And clean mountain air

May 2, 2019

Sherry has asked us to write a bout the small treasures, pleasures and comfors.

https://withrealtoads.blogspot.com


8 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is lovely, Annell. I love your high mountain desert, which i have come to know through your poems.

Susie Clevenger said...

Yes, all your poems about where you live feel a bit like home to me. Such a beautiful setting, thanks for sharing it with us.

Jim said...

It is a pretty 'look around' view from there. I love to look at the mountains from the distance, day dreaming that I am there. The first mountains that I saw were the Colorado Rockies coming in from the east. For a long time I thought they were storm clouds in the horizon.
Our friends who summer there are the Bells. From Conroe, Texas.
BTW, I had to click on your header, the link doesn't come right to this post
..

Margaret said...

I love watching Expedition Unknown and treasure hunting shows... the pottery pieces and everyday life pieces fascinate me...

Mr. Walker said...

Your meditation on a shard evokes so much - the land and the people - and your thoughts upon them. Lovely.

robkistner said...

This was wonderful Annell. Your cat sounds ready for anything... I love the part of New Mexico in which you live.

Anonymous said...

And doesn't clean air make a difference. I notice after a month of being in the bush my lungs clear.,. no congestion. It is very exciting finding remnants of the past.Im on the look out for a dinosaur bone.In the 70s they found a whole lot of diprotodon skeletal bones not far from my place but nothing since.I hope you are keeping all the shards and incorporating them into your own creations.Thanks for sharing and say hi to Issa:)

Rallentanda

brudberg said...

What a wonderful poem, love everything that goes into that shard you find...
the potter's hand, the purpose and those who came before us.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...