Thursday, March 7, 2019

A Rock Garden (or The Wisdom of the Stones)/imaginary gardens with real toads

A Rock Garden (or The Wisdom of the Stones)

Having trouble breathing in
A most basic function of being alive
Amazing how when something happens
We automatically inhale

It isn’t something we plan
It is just something that happens
And it happens over and over
Often, we put our hand to our mouth

I don’t garden anymore
I am too successful with weeds
And it hurts my back to pull them
And it is hard to be happy with a garden full of weeds

One year ago
I had two young men
Convert my garden into a rock garden
And now I hear the rocks chatting

Hard to have my own thoughts
With all the clamor
The rocks themselves
Are ancient old

And have much to say
They really don’t care if you listen
For they will speak
And they will speak over each other

They have much to say
In the quiet of the day
Talking, talking, talking
It is for us to listen

March 7, 2019

8 comments:

brudberg said...

Listening to rocks, love the thought.

annell4 said...

They are ancient old, and know it all...thanks Bjorn.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love that you have a rock garden, and even more that you hear them chatting. Rocks have such ancient stories to tell.

Isadora Gruye said...

I like the progression of the gardener to a rock gardener, but then being surrounded by the babbling stones. Nicely done!

Jim said...

Poor gardener, tired of the garden and pulling weeds. I have a rock garden in part. The rocks I brought in a few rocks at a time from my parent's farm. Much joy.
.

Kim M. Russell said...

Let’s hope nobody decides to mine the wisdom of the stones like they do coal, oil and such like, Annell. I think a rock garden full of wisdom is a wonderful idea and we should indeed listen to them. I love the lines:
‘I don’t garden anymore
I am too successful with weeds’
and
‘…now I hear the rocks chatting

Hard to have my own thoughts
With all the clamor’.

Marian said...

A rock garden, now there's an idea. Maintenance!
There's a children's book about a rock that this makes me think of... really nice.

Old Egg said...

If only we would realize how precious every part of the Earth is; even the rocks in the rock garden. They are just as beautiful as a gazelle...ask a blind man, and the cry of birds overhead or the low of cattle in a meadow...ask a deaf person. This really is one of your best pieces Annell.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...