Tuesday, March 12, 2019

A Poem is Like Picking Blackberries/poets united midweek motif/neighbors

A Poem is Like Picking Blackberries

I gather words 
Like picking blackberries
Reaching for the best ones
In early summer

What is the meaning 
Of this collection of words
They can’t be used for making jam
Instead I seek the words of the heart

I have lived in the West
For many years
There is a certain 
“Live and let live,” here

It is not that I don’t like my neighbors
Simply different people
With different lives
I a hermit

No hanging over the back fence
No gossip to exchange
A life of devotion
A life of dedication

Time is the essence of my life
So much to do
So little time
I have to be careful of what I choose




March 12, 2019



11 comments:

Susan said...

Amen to that! Neighbors who stay to themselves are essential to life as a hermit and aesthetic. I am a hermit, too, but only for short periods of time--I go into a cave and emerge frequently.

Myrna R. said...

I think to make a art - a spiritual quest - requires one to be somewhat removed and alone. I love the idea of being a hermit. I am one much of the time. Your poem expresses how I feel.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Ah yes nowadays life is busy and requires one to need space from daily gossip and activities.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I love your take on "neighbors." I'm right there with you: Life is short, and we have to pick and choose where to expend our limited energy.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I'm a hermit, too, though a friendly one, when I do go out for groceries or library books, lol. With your art and your studio, you have everything you need right where you are - with Taos Mountain out your window. Heavenly!

tonispencer said...

Yeppers. We are all hermits in my neighborhood, I think. I like that! I don't think any of us have ever been in the other's homes either. I like it like that.

Old Egg said...

You are right we have so little time but surely enough for a smile or wave to a neighbour, as one day you may need their help.

Frank J. Tassone said...

Live and let live. It's a benevolence when neighbors do so.

Thotpurge said...

Totally agree... I am much of a social hermit myself..live and let live is a very workable approach!

Sumana Roy said...

"Time is the essence of my life" Quicker we understand this the better to make the best use of it. Hermit life is perfect and a necessity sometimes. So well penned.

Cressida de Nova said...

Yes....me too !

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...