Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Time/dVerse

Time

We schedule our lives around it
Though Einstein said, it is not what you think it is
We can’t hold it in our hands
We can’t reverse it

We can’t see it as it passes quietly
We can’t taste it
We can’t smell it
Though it is with us always 

We can’t go back in time
But, sometimes we are stuck there
We ask, what time is it
We are told, it is a time for us

We wear a watch on our wrist
Carry one in our pocket
Sometimes it passes slowly
Sometimes it flies

One day we wake
And are surprised
Like Rip Van Winkle
Many years have passed

One day, not too long ago
We were only beginning the journey
And now, it is almost over
Perhaps we only mark time
Never really experience it

February 6, 2019




February 6, 2019


7 comments:

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

I do identify with this! Especially the lines that sometimes time passes slowly and sometimes it flies. Now in my seventh decade, I asked someone why it seemed that time passes more quickly when we are older. The answer given is that there is more time accumulated in our past and less distance/time to travel in the future....and therefore, proportionately, time goes by faster now because there is not as much of it. Not sure if that makes sense....but I surely understand the idea of counting time.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

It goes so fast, when one is looking back at 70 years of seasons..........loved this poem, my friend.......yesterday I saw the pink cherry blossoms budding and it made me so happy! Each year, it is like a miracle.

annell4 said...

thank you for your comment, Lillian.

annell4 said...

Thank you Sherry, yes, pink cherry blossoms are a miracle!!

indybev said...

It seems I savor the seasons now, thinking "If this is the last Spring I see, it's been beautiful", and so on. I haven't worn a watch since I retired, however my electronic gadgets point out the time minute by minute. I love your "take" on time!

Frank Hubeny said...

Good answer to the question, "What time is it?" "We are told it is a time for us"

Kim M. Russell said...

I like your list poem of statements about time, Annell. It’s amazing how we accept that time exists without any real evidence – it’s only mathematicss after all. I agree that it often feels like time has stuck while at others it passes quietly without us noticing, and that we only mark time and never really experience it.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...