Wednesday, May 23, 2018

A TRIBUTE POEM/Poets United -- Midweek Motif/A Tribute Poem

A TRIBUTE POEM

Who are those 
Who have walked with me
Pointed out the pitfalls
And the potholes
Taught me what I needed to know

My Mom and Dad, early teachers
My Grandparents
My Aunts and Uncles
My Husband, my touchstone
My Son, my love
My family, my own

As a child
I thought the old tree
In the front yard
Would always be there
Like my family

Before you know it
The actors leave the stage
One by one
And soon you are the only
One left in the theater

You tell me illness or disease
Has been diagnosed
You say, We are afraid
You say, Where can we hide
You say, Where can we find safety
I answer, Life is full of the unexpected
…And death

This is the way it is
And there will be no changing it
There is no better plan for us
So we live life in this moment
There is nothing else

May 23, 2018

13 comments:

Sumana Roy said...

"I answer, Life is full of the unexpected
…And death".....Poignant and True. And those precious moments that we had adorned stay with us too.

Cressida de Nova said...

I know about the tree....you expect it will always be there like all your loved ones . Then they depart. Cherish every moment with them. Good poem.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is deeply poignant, Annell.

Gillena Cox said...

Profound tribute Annell

much love...

Susan said...

How I love this tribute to what life gives and what it takes away! There is no better way--none that I can think of--though we long that loved ones could be with us longer than time allows.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So true, Annell. We live in the present moment. And it is rich enough. I love this poem of honouring those who have walked with you.

Myrna R. said...

Yes. We only have this moment, but nice that you've had others to share some good moments with you.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I love the ?simplicity, the matter-of-fact(ness) of your words Annell.

I live for this moment, relish it and always will – for it is all that I/we have. There is (indeed) nothing else.

I salute your wisdom.

Anna :o]

Old Egg said...

How well you tell this bitter truth Annell. It is bad enough to lose a spouse but to lose a child is a stab in the heart. Though we may smile at others our hearts are still bleeding.

Thotpurge said...

it's hard to brush everything away and learn to live in the moment, but perhaps that is the wisest way to move forward.. the only way to find some peace...

Kim M. Russell said...

It's so true, Annell, that as we get older we lose family and friends one by one, even those familiar trees. I really like the lines:
'Before you know it
The actors leave the stage
One by one
And soon you are the only
One left in the theater'.

kaykuala said...

You say, Where can we find safety
I answer, Life is full of the unexpected

And it makes it all the more interesting!

Hank

Vivian Zems said...

You speak true words here. It's interesting how you speak of actors leaving the stage...one at a time. Sad, but true.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...