Sunday, May 20, 2018

THE GAME OF HEARTS/The Sunday Whirl -- Poets United






THE GAME OF HEARTS

A game of hearts 
Who will win
The whole family loved to play
Challenges with loud voices
Animated laughter all around
Young and old alike

I looked for the eagles yesterday
Even though I knew they were not there
They come at another time of year
It is food they seek in the canyon

When playing the game of hearts
The game can start in the bar
Two eyes meet across the room
You will not have to wait long

Did I tell you I collect hearts
Love their shape
Love what they represent
They remind me of you

When the check comes
He will pay 
You are the queen
Lady luck is with you
You will not have to cheat
When you hold the highest card
You win

May 20, 2018


Wordle #352

Bar, check, wait, loud, animated, laugh, drunk, queen, eagles, family, win, hearts

17 comments:

colleen Looseleafnotes said...

I think the heart holds all the aces!

Magaly Guerrero said...

When we finally figure out what the highest card is (or, at least, which card means the most to us) and keep it close, we'll always win indeed.

brudberg said...

Alas there is always someone who has aces up his sleeves.

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

Oh it can be dangerous to play the Game of Hearts but I prefer to play as it is so lonely not to.....

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Ha, i remember playing Hearts with my grandpa. But we had the most fun with Old Maid.

ladyleemanila said...

cool game! :)

hyperCRYPTICal said...

A fine selection of games of hearts Annell.
It is good holding the highest card.
Anna :o]

Vivian Zems said...

The game of hearts...riskyou but we'll worth it!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Ah yes I remember!💜 A delightful poem, Annell! 😊

Gillena Cox said...

Cards games. Who doesn't remember those

Much♥️love

Anonymous said...

Hearts are trumps! (That takes on a whole different meaning these days) anyway I read each verse as a different game and especially liked the eagle

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

There are so many ways that we play with hearts! Loved this--the fun and the risk!

ZQ said...

Whoa! Never seen you so wild! Great write.
ZQ

Myrna R. said...

So many ways to play with hearts. I like the variety in your poem.

Wendy Bourke said...

I loved this layered - and cleverly articulated - 'take' on the Game of Hearts.

ayala said...

I love this!

dsnake1 said...

i still prefer rummy, but i think your poem has more layered, deeper meanings. :)

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...