Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Blame and Forgiveness/dVerse Blame and forgiveness

Blame and Forgiveness

You say, you don’t know how
I agree
The subject is difficult
Who is to blame

If it is you
Step forward
If it is me
Point with your finger

Still I am not sure…
Was it all a joke
Or just someone out of sorts
Words thrown to the ground

Bounced like a rubber ball
“Back at you”
Screamed silently
I thought if I said nothing

It would all be OK
Now, it has been four years
Since the scene
No one is quite sure

The words thrown that day
Are old and rotten
As the day they were said
At the top of your lungs

The love it there
But why would you say such things?
Somethings cannot be sorted out
But remain in a tangle

Lost in the bottom of a heart
Still wounded
Still smarts
Still broken

February 26, 2029

16 comments:

robkistner said...

It is so very hard to get around being hurt. It always lies in wait for another misspoken word, or judgmental stare - so it can again rear it’s head and draw breath. One party may be at fault to start a conflict - but both parties become at fault to prolong a conflict. The dynamics ar3 thought to sort Annell.

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice lines: "The words thrown that day
Are old and rotten" Some things stay tangled for a long time.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes. Words, once said, cannot be unsaid. They can cause hearts to break. You have expressed this so well.

Grace said...

Words said carelessly and in anger can hurt so we must be careful of the words we say. I also like the part quoted by Frank above.

Thotpurge said...

The words become old and rotten.. but everything else remains.. sadly.

Colleen Looseleaf said...

Wow that hit hard.

Kim M. Russell said...

This is so familiar to me, Annell, that it hurt to read your poem, which reminds me so much of the (non-)situation with my youngest sister, although the words she bounced like a rubber ball were in a letter – I haven’t seen her face to face for over five years. I’m not sure how or why and I feel the words in your final stanza.

Violet Lentz said...

Words can be so much more hurtful, and they seem to run the pathways of our memories forever. Very well done.

Gina said...

without clarification we continue to assume and hurt

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh this hits right in the gut! Powerful!

Anmol (HA) said...

Oh, your words speak of the hurt which is the only thing that remains after a while. Such an emotive poem, Annell!

Susie Clevenger said...

Words, they have such power. There are so many that have bruised. I am learning I must do better with mine.

indybev said...


Verbal arrows leave wounds that linger long, and continue to echo in the corners of our brain, returning to wound yet again. I'm sorry for your pain.

Teresa said...

I can truly relate to this. Once that silence sets in, it's hard to break it and find forgiveness.

Christopher Kerry Scott Sophie Johnson said...

a careful plot of well woven story,
great energy.

Kerfe said...

The words take on a life of their own. Gone, but not forgotten.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...