Sunday, February 17, 2019

Selma/the sunday whirl --poets united poets pantry

Selma

Written on water
The message
Slides below the surface
Barely legible

With a stick
I draw a line in the sand
From my heart to yours’
The message said you are gone

Just disappeared
Climbed from your bed…
No one knows for sure
The story a bit hazy

Upon return
The room empty
All nooks and crannies were searched
The day ended on a high note

They said, you were happy
The dishes were cleared from the table
Water drained from the sink
Scraps offered to the dogs

The wind blew all night
The morning calm
Hard to believe
You are gone for good

February 17, 2019

Note: Sometimes it is just that way. You were sick, and couldn’t live forever…still death comes as a surprise.  How do you choose a few words that wrap up a life…a life lived long. Beauty, color, funny, faithful, fun, laughter, “the bell of the ball.”   I will miss my friend, Selma Cooper.



10 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh Annell, I am so sorry you lost your friend. I love the way you describe it, as if the family enjoyed a good meal, fed the scraps to the dog, and then, so suddenly, she was gone. That might be a good way to go - so fully there, and then not. No lingering illness, no long struggle. Yes, you will miss her. She sounds like a radiant being. We need those souls in our lives.

Whitesnake said...

We should be grateful that people come into our lives, make us happy, bring us joy and then in the twinkle of an eye they are gone. Gone but not forgotten.

brudberg said...

So sorry to hear about your friend... it sounds to me like she was more prepared for her absence than those that she left.

rallentanda said...

So sorry doe your loss, Annell. It is devastating losing a dear friend. Some things are so overwhelming that one finds it hard to come to terms with.It has been seven years since my friend died and I still find it hard to take it in...I somehow can't quite believe it.

Wendy Bourke said...

Sorry for your loss, Annell.

Technically speaking, this piece has a compelling construct - a kind of 'bullet' statement about the lines that (for me) echoes the early stages of grief (moving through the pieces of each day … vaguely aware of each piece and then moving on to the next).

A poignant and powerfully written poem!

Kim M. Russell said...

Losing a friend hits hard, Annell, and you have created a lovely tribute from your grief. I love the opening lines and the idea of the message sliding below the surface of water. All I can offer is my deepest sympathy.

Colonialist said...

Sad, but only for those left behind. She will have gone home.

Anmol (HA) said...

Oh, this is so poignant and emotive. Death surprises us in many ways. I am so sorry for your loss, Annell.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Saying goodbye is difficult, especially if the departure was sudden and unexpected.

purplepeninportland.com said...

I am so sorry, Annell. I lost a friend recently, and found it hard to do her justice in my writings. Your poem is lovely.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...