Tuesday, April 23, 2019

A Scary Story/withrealtoads.blogspot.com/The Tuesday Platform: Gather around for some ghost stories (Poems in April ~ Day 23) --Nothing in Life is Free/ https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-23

A Scary Story

Often is it not what we can see
In the pure daylight
Not the “bump” in the dark
That frightens us
The fear comes from our own mind
That little voice
That terrorizes us
“What if it is cancer”
“What if I die”
“What if I lose all I have”
Oh, the worries we can conjure
When in fact
The day is sunny
All is well

April 23, 2019

Note:  I think my Grandmother
Called it to “borrow trouble.”

withrealtoads.blogspot.com/The Tuesday Platform:  Gather around for some ghost stories (Poems in April ~ Day 23)

______________________________________________________________



Nothing in Life is Free

Life, given so freely
Once I wasn’t
Now I am
But to live each day
There is a price to pay
I wouldn’t say it was free
You never know what the 
Toll taker will ask
One day becomes another
And at the end of time
You will be able to calculate the cost
For each it will be different
Nothing in life is free

April 23, 2019

https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-23

7 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

With each decade those fears change and become acceptance, or maybe resignation: what will be, will be. I loved both of these poems, Annell.

Ellecee said...

It is so true how we conjure up disasters which never happen, and I also agree, o thing in life is free. Enjoyed both poems very much💕

Elizabeth said...

My grandmother said the same thing. And it is a reality. We scare ourselves with all our worries. As if we have nothing better to do?

And yes, nothing is truly free. Everything comes at some kind of cost.

Really like both of these,

Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/23/healing-of-memory/

Kim M. Russell said...

Both poems spoke to me, Annell. I understand the ‘little voice
That terrorizes us’ and the ‘worries we can conjure’. I suppose we all borrow trouble at times. I agree that nothing in life is free but it is satisfying to have worked hard for something.

Jim said...

We try to be happy in the sunshine but it isn't easy when we have a bad diagnosis. Janice Joplin's song, "Me and Bobby Magee," said that freedom is just a word and it ain't free, nothin's free.
..

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Two succinct pieces of wisdom!

Susie Clevenger said...

The what if's can be deadly when you live in them.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...