Tuesday, April 9, 2019

My Friend/writers digest / April PAD Challenge 2019 Day 9 -- Games/dVerse -- Dreams/imaginary gardens with real toads

My Friend

Today I am writing a love poem
Recently I was told my childhood Bff
Died two years ago
Died of lung cancer

I wonder what happened to our friendship
How life takes unexpected turns
Why didn’t I see her anymore
And then I remember…

Certainly nothing to share with her children
So, I go further back
We were inseparable children
Shared every secret

Again, nothing to share with her children
Secrets are to be kept
Sacred things
Created to protect the innocent

There was that one day
And from that day forward
We didn’t see each other again
I have often wondered

What happened to her
Was she happy
How were how her children
Could we ever span this gulf?

April 9, 2019


  Note:  I am sure this has happened to so many people, we are seperated from the ones we love.  Her death has put my life a bit out of balance.  As we age, we hear of so many deaths of friends from the past.

_______________________________________________________________________


Games/dVerse



Games

I check the time
A little after eight
I don’t want to be late
The day is full

I don’t play games much anymore
I grew up in a family
Who loved to play card games
And you always needed an ace to win

April 9, 2019

____________________________________________________________________
Dreams/imaginary gardens with real toads


Dreams

I have often wondered 
Which are the real dreams?
Is life lived during the day
As we go about our business

Or are the dreams the ones
We have while sleeping
Dreams and memories
So much alike

What is real?
What is really real?
Dreams while sleeping
Are so much like memories?

A little hard to remember?
A little fogy
The questions remain
Did it really happen that way?

April 9, 2019




18 comments:

said...

I am so so so so sorry. This really hits home. One of my high school bffs died last week. I just saw him this winter; it makes it harder.

You just can't stop the what-ifs, whys, and memories from devouring you. But at some point, we can let go of guilt and sorrow and start to let the joyful memories swallow us. This morning, I was giggling to myself over a cute, sweet memory he and I shared, after crying my broken heart out for days in a row. I know you will get there. Just don't be afraid of the feelings. Let them have their way with you. Go through the stages. You'll get to a good one.

annell4 said...

Thanks so much for your comment. Sweet words...

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love all these honest, thoughtful, wistful pieces.

indybev said...

Your words resonated. I had just contacted my high school alum group to find who remains of my class of "51 (yes, that's 1951) and learned my two BFFs in highschool have gone on to what comes next. Life led me away from home and I had not seen them for more years than I can say, yet I feel the loss. I sometimes feel I have more loved ones on the "other side". Still, life has its sweet moments.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

It is rattling when we hear of someone from our past dying. I remember walking in a graveyard once, years ago, and seeing a headstone of my first boyfriend. Yikes. I always love reading you, my friend.

Ellecee said...

Enjoyed these poems, they could be interconnected.. the thoughts of your lost friend, the question of dream and reality,, I felt melancholy and empathy with them all,,

tonispencer said...

I was puzzled as to which one you were submitting for the 9th day prompt so I am commenting on the first one. It is always an odd unsettling feeling when an old friend dies.

De Jackson said...

I grew up playing games, too, and still try to coax my teens to play, sometimes. :) Loved this Q.

annell4 said...

Toni Thank you for your comment. I always try to put the site up, at the top of the poem, but maybe I should put more info.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comment De.

annell4 said...

Ellecee Thanks for your comments, and thanks for pointing out the connection between the poems.

annell4 said...

Sherry Thank you Dear Sherry, I guess that is the way of it, people go on dying, behind our backs.

annell4 said...

Dear Indy Bev, So good to see you!! Thanks for your comments. It seems as we age, perhaps we are the only ones left.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comments Rosemary!! Perhaps "wistful" is the right expression? We follow our own path, and so do others...but sometimes I think what would have happened, if it had not been that way?

Ella said...

I, too see the overlapping of thoughts-of loss and dreams and how we paint our reality~
Do you paint your poems?
I am sorry, for your loss~

Margaret said...

two powerful topics... friendships and dreams. Enjoyed both poems.

annell4 said...

Thanks for your comment Ella.

annell4 said...

Thank you Margaret, for your comment.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...