Thursday, April 4, 2019

The Painter/writers digest April PAD Challenge 2019 Day 4 -- What is Beauty/imaginary gardens with real toads


The Painter

What is the life of a painter?
He is a hermit
Not because he does not like people
Rather it is what is required

He is very careful about commitments
To be a painter takes time
Often a lifetime
Time for thought

Time to read
Time to think
Time to work
Time to dream

Each painter is different
But I am writing about a specific painter
He does his work alone
He experiments

He makes judgements
He adjusts the work
That is his sole expression
The painter spends many years

Learning technique
Learning who he is
And what he is trying to say
As a painting is a visual language

With his technique he can seduce you
Invite you to look at his work
With the hope that there will be a
A resonance for the viewer

A cord is struck
The viewer brings his experience
And between the two
The work is complete

April 4, 2019 

_________________________________________________________________
What is Beauty/imaginary gardens with real toads

What is Beauty

What is beauty?
Who can say
What it is or
What it isn’t

And yet there are people
Who have searched all their lives
For beauty
I am told, it is an old-fashioned idea

For if we find it
How will we know?
If we don’t know what it is
Perhaps the answer is

If we are moved
Moved to tears
The sunset of red and gold
The new born morning

To each his own
Who can say
What it is or
What it isn’t?

April 4, 2019










10 comments:

tonispencer said...

We all ask this question What is beauty? maybe we should start asking ourselves What is ugly? It might give a new perspective on beauty.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love both poems....the life of the artist requires much solitude, that of the poet as well, I believe. At least it is so for me. And beauty - our culture is obsessed with it, and it is not to be found in glitter and false fronts, but in the deep resonance that shines from within.......takes a while for us to understand that. Thanks for these, Annell.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Beauty is skin deep!!

Ellecee said...

I believe in both cases, the artist and the poet, there is that requirement of solitude and contemplation. And none of us has the answer to what beauty is because, as others have said, its in the eye of the beholder. Enjoyed both of your poems today,, :-)

said...

I love that last stanza.

And I also think being alone is so key for a painter/writer because he doesn't want his brain to be altered by anything outside it. He must try to keep preserve the integrity of the brain as its own undiscovered, uninfluenced planet to as great a degree as possible.

Jim said...

I too like both poems, Annell. But I like the painter the better. To me an artist tells his story or his mind on canvas while the writer/poet paints the picture with words with words.
"hope that there will be a resonance for the viewer" also applies to the poet who writes for his readers. I try to keep that in mind when I write.
..


annell4 said...

Thanks for each comment, I agree with all.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Love this Annell. Being moved to tears is a sort of beauty.

Margaret said...

Yup - tears. I'm full of them lately (my oldest just got married) and I didn't cry, but I was very close. It was a great feeling :)

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...