Saturday, April 20, 2019

https://www.imaginarygardenswith real toads.com/2019/04/weekend-mini-challenge-in-april-three.html -- https://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-20/comment-page-1#comment-4227489



Flowers no longer bloom
In my garden
Rocks have replaced them

Hollyhocks come up like weeds
They are well suited to this clime
Pink like the inside of a lizard's cheek

I never bought you flowers
And yet all should belong to you
You loved them so


______________________________________________________________________

From the Mesa

Most days are clear and bright
The sun usually shines 
And that is how it is 
In the land of enchantment

The nights are also bright
Stars sparkle 
Too many to count
Stars in every direction

The air usually crisp and clear
Even in Summer
The air comes down from the mountains
To refresh the valley

Mares’ tails fill the blue sky
It is spring
A time of renewal
Great expectations

April 20, 2019

https://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-20/comment-page-1#comment-4227489

_________________________________________________________________________

7 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

I have never been to the desert. With your flower poems and your view from the Mesa it makes me want to visit. Maybe one day I will. Your words create a painting.

Elizabeth said...

I like all three. They speak to a progression. The painting, the orange of passion, and the red of creative fire, with the green of growth and blue of knowing. All balanced by the black of the future and unknowing. Then you speak of the hollyhocks that are pink the color of tenderness both past and present. But then you step into that unknown future ending it all with great expectations. Love it Annell, you are on fire...

Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/20/before-re-entry/

Sanaa Rizvi said...

That last one took my breath away!!❤️

Magaly Guerrero said...

I really like the ambiguity of the first poem/stanza. The statement is open enough to allow the reader to add his or her feelings to the lines--it can be a sad poem to someone who mourns the absence of flowers, but it can also be a happy poem (one that speaks of the power of resilience and adaptation) to someone who has learned to appreciate the the rock garden.

Such strikingly pink imagery, in the second poem.

The last made me sigh... It also made me want more about the speaker and subject.

And "From the Mesa" is just beautiful. I would love to be able to experience all those images in the flesh.

Ellecee said...

Lovely images all, much food for contemplation as well, I enjoyed them very much 💕

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Your flower shorts and your mesa poem give me wonderful insights into your environment. They have the same beauty and clarity as you describe in the mesa poem. Thank you.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Pink like the inside of a lizard's cheek! I love that image.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...