Tuesday, April 16, 2019

https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-16 -- http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/The Tuesday Platform: You are a Poet! (Poems in April ~ Day 16)



I sit quietly before the computer, on this still spring morning.  The door slightly ajar, in hopes some lost words will find their way into the studio.  Like a trap, I’ve set.  Just waiting for you to appear.  To give me a direction in which to go.  I check my trap, no words with which to begin…

I pull a book of words from the shelf, I open the book in search of a beginning.  The book by Eduardo Galeano, Children of the Days, a calendar of human history.  I find the page, April 16. Here Eduardo tells about another book, his anthology of flamenco songs, nine hundred couplets from the Gypsy songbook of Andalusia. 

One caught my eye:
The day that you were born
A piece of heaven fell to earth.
Not until you cease to live
Will heaven regain its girth.

He goes on to tell that the critics panned the book.“  Flamenco’s cante jondo evoked their scorn, because it was written by Gypsies.  But that’s why these couplets carry their music with them, in their clapping palms and in their stamping feet.”

There was a time I decided to learn to dance the Flamenco.  I wanted my movements on the outside to match my feelings of sorrow on inside.  I signed up for the class, got the special red shoes, with taps on the soles and tried to move my feet as the other dancers did.  

My days as a Flamenco dancer included many missteps, but their music of “deep song,” songs that seemed to be torn from the heart, certainly met my present mood, even if my feet couldn’t keep up.  Slow to learn the complex steps that were required.    

 April 16, 2019

https://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/2019/04/chatting-with-magaly-why-prose-at-poets.html



_________________________________________________________________________





Catch to Release

Have you noticed
When you catch something
It takes over your life
You can think of nothing else

Catch a cold
Down for the count
All stuffed up
Can’t breathe

Get bitten by the love bug
Obsessed
Day and night
He’s the one, I’m sure

Catch a fish in the river
The most fun in the world
Write a poem
Turn around, write another

I am good at catching something
But not so good at release
Unless, it is a butterfly
Resting on my thumb

Toss it in the air
Just to watch it fly

April 16, 2019

https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-16
http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-tuesday-platform-you-are-poet-poems.html
_____________________________________________________________________



7 comments:

Marianne said...

Loved "Catch To Release," Annell. Catching just about anything can become all-consuming, filling your mind and attention. Your last lines about releasing a butterfly are lovely, almost spiritual.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Yes it's kind of an addiction ...

Anmol (HA) said...

To let go or practicing that release can be such a difficult thing. Well penned! I too loved the peaceful feeling of releasing the butterfly in the end.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I LOVE your flamenco story! Just love it! And adore the butterfly on your thumb, that you release to watch it fly.........very cool, my friend.

Ellecee said...

I, too, love the butterfly release in the end. I can relate to your poem, sometimes it’s very hard to let go :-)

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love each of these writings.

Oh to dance Flamenco!

brudberg said...

I do love the thought of releasing...

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...