Thursday, April 25, 2019

withrealtoads.blogspot.com/Kerry Says ~ Let's Be Imagists! -- In Exile/https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-25


Kerry’s challenge, was to follow the advice of Carl Jung: “The point is you start with any image…”.  I thought it would be fun to look at my own work.   As the artist I will try to tell you what I see….



Kachinas, Kabuki Dancers, Sentries, or Guards

Sometimes when looking at a photograph
It is hard to know what you are looking at
This image is made up of five paintings
Works on watercolor paper

The images are based on collage
Then they are taken through a process 
Removed at least three times from the original
These verticals make me think of Kachinas

Native American Gods
Maybe all tribes have them
But especially the Hopi
They dress in colorful adornments

The artist is not saying they are Kachinas
Rather they remind her of Kachinas
Or Japanese Kabuki dancers
Or, sentries or guard

The colors slam against each other
Without rhyme or reason
The viewer might choose a color
Maybe red
And then follow it through the paintings

You will see, it meets many different
Circumstances
Just as we do each day
There is room for the random or unexpected

It is my goal to offer paintings
That the viewer has not seen before
To offer an adventure the viewer has not had
My goal is to entertain you

April 25, 2019



_______________________________________________________________________
In Exile

In exile is where I am
Where waves crash on shore
One after the other
Memories are my companions

Still there is always tomorrow
The unknown
Almost unthinkable
A pathway of loneliness

We flew together
We traveled to Japan
To New York City
We shared breath

The day came
Now you are gone
It is only I who remains
…In exile

April 25, 2019

https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-25
________________________________________________________________________



11 comments:

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love those brilliant paintings, and it was fascinating to read your poetic discourse on them. I also enjoyed the gentle wistfulness of your second poem.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is lovely, Annell!❤️ I love and resonate with; "The colors slam against each other Without rhyme or reason/ The viewer might choose a color/ Maybe red/ And then follow it through the paintings."

Kerry O'Connor said...

Marvellous insight into the method of the artist in composing the images.

tonispencer said...

I wasn't sure which to read and comment upon.

Debi Swim said...

I do love how you explain the painting and process. Kachinas, Kabuki Dancers, Sentries, or Guards is a great title.
The second I love because it is the one remaining that is exiled. I feel that way too.

Susie Clevenger said...

I am so thankful for your description of artist creating art. The last one is wistful, a heartache in words.

Kim M. Russell said...

I like that you have posted these two poems together, Annell. I enjoyed the description of the artistic process in the first and the lines:
‘The colors slam against each other
Without rhyme or reason’
and
‘There is room for the random or unexpected’.

I love the wistfulness of the second poem, the line
‘Memories are my companions’
and the brief description of the memory of flying together and shared breath.

brudberg said...

When looking at something abstract I often realize it's more like a mirror... you see your own experiences and knowledge.

Elizabeth said...

Really like both and for very different reasons. I was terribly interested in what the Artist would say about her own creation. And really liked the idea of the colors as guards or sentries, protecting what lies within. Which brings me to the second piece of writing. A tender grief unfolded, a glimpse of deep pain. And immediately wanted the guards and sentries back in place to protect and shield that which lies within.

Elizabeth
https://soulsmusic.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/wild-within/

Violet Lentz said...

A most interesting perspective, the artist seeing the artists work. I would imagine even your vision changes as you look upon the completed work, and see it through our eyes. Very well done.

Sara jeans said...

how to calculate cbd content The idea of Terry’s Naturals and owning and selling hemp-based products began in 1989 when Terry Dawn Behrman began her education in the properties of hemp. Living and working in Colorado the wander lust soon took her after she had her first child in 1990. By 1994 she took her education on the road

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...