Wednesday, April 17, 2019

https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-17 -- poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/Poets United Midweek Motif - Writing Prose -- http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/04/poems-in-april-somewhere-in-midst-of.html

What is My Reason for Writing?

You ask about my reason for writing
And I will say
It is to know what I am thinking
It is a record of what I was thinking yesterday

I want to be able to look at an idea
And condense it to its’ essence
OK, that is what you want to say
Now ask again, Is it really what you want to say?

I want to say it clearly
Without stutter
There is an elegance to clarity
Hard edged, flat color

I want to throw caution to the wind
And see what comes back
In the form of a black bird with red wing
…Or a poem

April 17, 2019

https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/poetic-asides/2019-april-pad-challenge-day-16

_______________________________________________________________________

Say it… Say It Differently

Perhaps prose is more clear
The who, what and where 
Are often stated
Everything is said

For the sake of clarity
But in a poem
You may stay hidden
Never come out at all

The guests arrive
But may never see you
On the other hand
You may be front and center

It is your choice
You are the poet
Always looking for a different
Way to say it.

April 17, 2019

poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/Poets United Midweek Motif - Writing Prose

____________________________________________________________________

The Mind Is Its Own Beautiful Prisoner

I suppose you are right
Held against my will
Through the long night
Words in flight

A prisoner I am
I cannot take up residence
In someone else’s head
In this place I was born

And suffer a bit of obsession
Thinking the same thoughts
Over and over again
We are told we have

26 thousand thoughts a day
Unfortunately, most are the same
I know mine sure are
This will probably remain the same

Until I die
As it has been so far
Unless… someone leaves the door ajar
Then I will escape


Be free at last
Still, where ever I go
There I am
The mind is its own beautiful prisoner

April 17, 2019


Poems in April ~ Somewhere in the midst of stirring April


http://withrealtoads.blogspot.com/2019/04/poems-in-april-somewhere-in-midst-of.html








11 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I do like the way good poems leave a lot to our imaginations, hinting at things, but never spelling them out in detail.

Susan said...

Both poems speak to me, and both fit my prompt. Reason for writing is a fine dialogue with the self (in my case) and the latter, oh, that mysterious creative process! You have it double with painting and poetry.

Gillena Cox said...

luv the telling verses the abstracting

much love...

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is incredibly poignant! We are forever prisoners at the hands of our thoughts and fears and doubts.

brudberg said...

The repeated thoughts I know.. like a broken record.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

You're very convincing – yet I think that, although it might be a prison, it is also a universe.

Susie Clevenger said...

Yes, the repetitive thoughts are familiar. I live so much of my days in my head, especially this month.

Sumana Roy said...

"Always looking for a different / Way to say it." Yup, you sum it up nicely.

Kim M. Russell said...

Yes, we poets are held against our will by words in flight, prisoners in our own heads. But if we were able to get inside someone else’s head we’d be stuck in their prison. Better the one we know…

Old Egg said...

Luckily my muse just pulls something out the bag at last minute for me to use. However I agree we are prisoners...secretly satisfied with our lot.

purplepeninportland.com said...

Exactly the way I feel about poetry and prose.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...