Thursday, April 11, 2019

The Light of My Life (For My Son)/writers digest April PAD Challenge 2019 -- Having Fun Alone At Home/imaginary gardens with real toads

The Light of My Life
(For My Son)

You came to us
A little baby
Brand new
Blond hair and blue eyes

A tiny professor
We were not prepared
We witnessed our parents
Do the best they could

But you were a different boy
My family was made up of girls
Boys come with their own set of rules
Always moving

Special needs
Sweet as could be
Had your own interests
We a few steps behind

It seemed we were always trying to get it right
…but never did
Too soon, we would go on to the next assignment
The last left unfinished

I tried hard to fit the role
Loved you to pieces
And yet, when I think of it
I look back with uncertainty

When you finished with me
I felt I could have been a better parent
You taught me so much
And yet you touched my heart

And then touched your own
There are no do-overs in life
We get just one chance
And then it is over

April 11, 2019

___________________________________________________________________

Having Fun Alone At Home/imaginary gardens with real toads

Hey Muddy Buddies,


Welp...it's midweek, almost mid month. On the North Plain winter has cooked up a late spring snowstorm. I am fighting every urge to build a pillow fort and stay under covers for the rest of the year, and I know some of you feel that way too.

Todays prompt is for my pillow fort folk.  A little jam that may get us grooving out of our funk, hopping out of our padded palaces, and push words on to the page. Non-pillow fort folk, you can also welcome to participate or bring us cookies.

The song
Bishop Allen is an indie art school band with a few big hits under their belts. Their mostly acoustic sound is bright, melodic, with a sprinkle of self doubting franticness. Their song "The News from Your Bed" is an homage to how much fun you can have without leaving the flat - sort of. Give it a listen.



The prompt
Write a poem using a phrase or line of lyrics from The News from You Bed. If you didn't like the song or find it particularly inspiring, feel free to write a poem about the news from your own bed (or pillow fort). 

Go now Garden Dwellers and bring us back something shiny and new. 



Having Fun Alone At Home


What do you do
When you do nothing all day
The phone doesn’t ring
No knock at the door

All alone 
Nobody else home
Clear the plate
Do nothing but think

Gather words you can use
Now or later
Sit down and write a bit
Nothing rhymes

Can’t even draw a straight line
I’ve been waiting for this
Home alone
…Now what?

April 11, 2019







5 comments:

Marianne said...

So lovely to be able to say "light of my life!" Your "tiny professor" is a marvelous description. I would agree that boys do come with their own set of rules. Well done!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Ah, that fair-haired boy, the light of your life. You could not have loved him more. And at the end, when he touched his own heart then pointed at yours, he told you all you need to know - your love was fully returned. I love the expression, the "tiny professor". That is exactly how babies feel - they teach us so much more than we ever taught them. And it is all about love.

Isadora Gruye said...

Lovely writing about your son, and I really like your home alone piece. It was jaunty and playful! Thanks for posting.

Margaret said...

... I hear the love and "best effort" raising your son - but I'm somehow left with a feeling of something not going right. I hope he is doing well and you have a great relationship. I know all parents must look back and think "I could have done better" but most probably do the best they can at the time.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Such a poignant poem about your sonπŸ’ž and I really like the light-heartedness of home alone 😊

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...